Buying & Selling A Car – How to Change Paperwork & Documents Required

Seller Photocopies of:

  • NIF Or if non Spanish
  • White NIE in date plus Passport OR Certificado de Registro plus passport


  • Originals of: Ficha Technica (car log Book)  SHOULD have a current ITV stamp with at least 1 month’s life left.

(otherwise, the vehicle is not permitted to be driven on the roads until it passes the ITV test)

  • Permiso de Circulación matching the name of the documents above – this is to make sure the person who is selling is actually the registered owner
  • Receipt of current  rodaje (road tax)
  • Details of Current Address

The seller should request a copy of the new Permiso de circulacion to show the vehicle has been transferred within the month allotted time from the date of signing of the contract.


  • NIF Or if non-SpanishWhite NIE in date plus Passport OR EU citizen certificado de registro plus passport. If the address on the buyer’s residence documentation is not their actual address  OR if they only have a white non-resident’s NIE document then a CURRENT  certificate of empadronamiento is also required.
  • Both parties must sign a Compraventa (Bill of Sale in Spanish – this is generated by the same program as the modelo 620)

DO NOT enter a price – you must telephone or use the 620 programme to get the official book price confirmed.

  • Both parties sign the application to transfer and sign the authority documents to act on buyer and seller’s behalf Modelo 620,
  • Be ready to pay the transfer tax of 5.5 % of the book value of the car or 115 euros minimum (whichever is the greater) which is submitted to the Administración Tributaria Canaria,  plus 54 euros (except mopeds €27) for Trafico fees plus gestor fees if applicable. Note transactions at Trafico are strictly by appointment only.


  • Before applying for a change in ownership of the vehicle you will need to  Cancel any restriction on the vehicle use that might be recorded in the Registry of Personal Property, unless the Finance Company gives its express consent.  Pay any sanctions imposed by traffic infringements recorded in the Registry of Vehicles. Pay the Road CirculationTax for the previous year.
  • Because of this we would strongly advise; The purchaser to also obtain a report on the vehicle from Trafico before buying – cost on the internet around 35 euros (less in person by appointment). This will include
  • whether the vehicle is authorised to be driven on the road
  • Expiry date of ITV
  • Leans or embargoes which would impede the transfer of the vehicle into the purchaser’s name



An ITV is the Spanish equivalent of an MOT you can book an appointment online (in English) here